09 July 2009

Care-less

The financial accounting lecturer was telling us the 4 conditions to be satisfied before an item can be considered as a fixed asset.
  • it has a useful life of more than one year
  • it is owned by the business
  • it is used by the business and not meant for resale
  • the value is fairly large

He questioned, "So is an eraser considered as a fixed asset?"

I was sitting in the second row so I'm right under his nose.

He asked me, "Can an eraser be used for more than a year?"

My answer to him was - NO (can it?)

Next thing the class chuckled for the first time because the lecturer said, "No? That means you must be a very careless person."

I still replied him, "Ya." (I was hoping that I wasn't blushing.)

Seriously, whether eraser can be used longer than one year depends on the size of the eraser. Moreover if someone uses a pen rather than a pencil most of the time, obviously the eraser can last very long. My lecturer says his eraser can last for 5 years. He might be exaggerating for the purpose of explaining the topic to us. I don't care. It's not funny when I was being laughed on the first lesson. Maybe if this joke was used on someone else in the class, I might laugh. But I wasn't in a very good mood. So yeah... I'll not deny the fact that I'm careless but there's no link with high frequency usage of the eraser.

I'm a perfectionist. If my handwriting is not to my liking or when it's slanted, I will erase it off and write it all over again. I still remember that during primary and secondary school days when we had to write 习字, I put in a lot of effort to produce my best handwriting. Write, rub, write, rub until I'm satisfied with my own work. Yes, it's a waste of time but at least my satisfaction level is very high as compared to those who write it for the sake of writing.

Alright. Back to the fixed asset topic. The conclusion is - eraser is not a fixed asset because it does not have a useful life of more than one year and a more convincing reason will be that the value is too small.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

this is such an open-end question(2nd question), how to answer?

but then would agreed on the 1st question posed.

Shihui said...

your handwriting must be very nice:D
not like mine:D
when im in a bad mood/tired/bored
my handwriting is ugly and i dont bother to rewrite.
when im felling good i write neatly

Gwen said...

Lol I won't dare to say if I'm a perfectionist but my actions show the people around me that I am..Since like I cannot tolerate incompetence and failures..and everything I do must be the best.Very competitive..Hey I take Accounts too! Well Fixed assets are supposed to be assets which will last for several accounting periods which is in years..I think its not considered..since its like impossible to be using the same eraser for six years right? LOL.. Therefore..I agree with you..Okay I'm sounding so history student-like..well I am history student what..LOL..Can understand la..If I'm in bad mood even the funniest joke on earth won't make me budge or smile..in fact i might just shoot back..Very funny meh..ahahah but I'm still learning to control myself though haha :D..Anyways I saw the 1st episode Of My Buddy ler..Hahha your "Wah seh" so cute sia lol! XD ANyway Enjoy your day!

Gwen

Psg A said...

haha.. dun worry, nicholas is a very humourous person.. dun sit too much to the front.. sit in the middle of the class, middle of the table. that way, u're safer =)

Jeric said...

Hahaha =D As you said, it was the first lesson so the teacher must be trying to make the class laugh... Hey dun think too much about it yeah, AND what course are you taking? how come got financial accounting?

Amber Eu said...

If that homwork must be finished on that day, my handwriting sure very ugly. But my own book or notes will rewrite and rewrite until I satisfied.:)

xiu hui said...

hihi. quite long nv leave a comment here le. i took accounting too. its my least favourite subject. anyway jia you for ur module. lol. im waiting for my advance dip course to start. yawn.

Qisha said...

hellos:)i also took accountings too.But im jus a really newbie to that&my exams are cannot make it one.
Anyw,yous study&work not tiring?
Can ii ask yous a question?How yous get into the acting line?:) i really wish to know.xP

Lincoln said...

Where are you studying accounts girl?

Was the lecturer Indian?

Anonymous said...

u good at studying meh.
waste your time and money.
go act la.
act cute.
im very sure i would like to see your acting on the tv screen.
and the effect it has on viewers.
by that i mean dismaying viewership.

JovitaNgo said...

HAHA!! You're same as me! I also write, rub, write and rub. :) I hate ugly handwriting. I cannot tolerate it whenever my handwriting or my friends handwriting is ugly.. I think you can imagine it. Right? AIYO.. Yahui, you are so funny and cute in the drama 'My buddy'!! Hehe.. Funny.

Gwen said...

Anonymous what exactly is your problem? You really retarded know..Why bother wasting your time here to insult people when you can spent that time praising your fave artist? Did Ya Hui Ever offend you? if not..why the offending tone?